Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Silver Lining...

I've been sick for the past 10 days. First it was strep throat. Then on to some chest cold. Not completely better, but on the up and up. I went to the doctor last week, but it was not our OB. So after not getting better, I went in yesterday to see her so that they could give me some different medicine. Well, I did get another prescription but we also got the best form of medicine I could have asked for....

We heard the heartbeat.

Within a minute, the nurse found it and it was 157 beats strong. Harold and I looked at each other is complete amazement. I mean, yes, we know we are pregnant. I've got an expanding waistline and 8lbs to tell me something is going on, but somehow at that moment I realized that there is a living child inside of me that I already am responsible for. At that moment, I heard the heartbeat of our marriage. And it was strong. That sound was more about us than the baby. Each beat was evidence of love and goodness and patience and kindness.
Harold and I will be celebrating our 4th anniversary on the 20th of this month and through those years we have created life in more ways than this. We have given life to each other with the unconditional love that Christ commands us. Not that we always get it perfect, but we know the Perfect source for strengh when we can't find it on our own.

So here's to the silver lining of this sickness. I would be sick for 100 more days for this lesson of love and life.

1 comment:

Gary and Summer said...

What a lovely post, Heather. Very heartfelt and touching. I hope you are back to 100% soon!