Monday, February 2, 2009

an observation...

when g. marie started crawling on Sunday (which i love that she choose that day) she didn't simply limp her way across the floor. harold got her out of the crib, changed her diaper and set her down. her toys were on the other side of the room so she had two options. cry till her daddy brought them to her OR go get them herself. she got them alright and hasn't looked back since.

this morning as i watched her i just thought of all the ways that i have cried out for my heavenly Father to 'bring it on' to me. rather than stretch and move in ways that aren't comfortable to me OR are simply new altogether, many times i'd rather stay plopped down where i am and wait for Him. and just as my will for her is to crawl...then walk...then run, His desire for us is the very same. (only not to toys) my prayer is that her feet will one day be so fast after the things of God. however, at first she is going to watch my feet to see where they run and then follow suit. which brings me to this poem i read one time and saved. what a reminder.

Sermons We See

I’d rather see a sermon than hear one any day,
I’d rather one should walk with me
than merely show me the way.
The eye’s a better pupil and more willing than the ear;
Fine counsel is confusing, but example’s always clear;
And the best of all the preachers
are the men who live their creeds,
For to see the good in action is what everybody needs.
I can soon learn how to do it if you’ll let me see it done.
I can watch your hands in action,
but your tongue too fast may run.
And the lectures you deliver may be very wise and true;
But I’d rather get my lesson by observing what you do.
For I may misunderstand you and the high advice you give,
But there’s no misunderstanding how you act and live.

-Edgar A. Guest

reading God's word to her is crucial. but the way harold and i live every second, treat every person, spend every penny should mirror what is in that word. what a responsibility AND privilege!

2 comments:

Julee H. Nappier said...

Congrats on the crawling!How exciting!(:I love watching little ones crawl...it's so cute! She'll be up and running in no time!

ARRAY(0xae531d0) said...

AMEN SISTER (DAUGHTER)!!!!!We should all be VERY aware of the sermon we preach with our words and actions! What a responsibility we take so non-chalantly(spelling??) Thanks for reminding us to BE the people God intended us to be, not to act like He wants us to. The meaning of act is- a performance or a deed. Let us do all things to the glory of GOD!!Kiss that sweet baby for us, see you tomorrow.Love you all..