Sunday, April 19, 2009

Make It Monday - Butterfly Embroidery

I'm going to try something new around here. It's called 'Make it Monday'. Lots of the things Georgia wears/has/plays with are simple things that I have made for her. And lots of times friends and strangers will ask about those items so I thought it would be fun to share the 'how-to' with you. Not only do I love making her things, I'm also a mother with a budget so lots of times I am forced to be creative if I want cute stuff for her. So anyway, here's the kickoff:

It's a simple embroidery on a white onesie. All I needed was embroidery thread and needles and a onesie. You can use a shirt or onesie or whatever.
After I had my supplies I got a Mark-B-Gone Pen and drew the design I wanted on her onesie. I threaded the needle and tied the knot on the end of the thread and went at it.
Okay, I didn't take the time to take pictures step by step this time but I will going forward. But here's what I did. I used the Split Sticth for the wings, a Running Stitch for the antennea, and French Knots for the body and head.
Pretty cute, huh. I just bought thead to match the polka dots and now she has something that matches. There are so many different stitches that you could use to make it look as you please. Just take the time to look through them and start practicing. This onesie took me less than 30 minutes and cost less than $4.00 to make. So worth it.
And although she doesn't seemed so thrilled about her new digs, they sure make me smile. Let me know if you have any questions. Now, get busy.


4 comments:

Talia said...

I've only ever done cross-stitch but this makes me want to expand my horizons. One onesie or shirt seems a lot easier to tackle than a whole pattern or blanket anyway.

Sherry said...

Girl, you are so da bomb! My little merchant ship! I LOVE that outfit!

Deena said...

Too cute!You are so talented! Not sure how mine will turn out, but I'm definitely going to try it!

Kelly said...

Look at you and your crafty self! You always have been crafty! I wish I had those patience and talents but since I do not I know where I can get some cute stuff made for Lily! Have a good week and kiss sweet Georgia for me. Hope the walking thing is going well still!!