Sunday, May 3, 2009

Make It Monday - Finger Puppets

I love felt. LOVE IT. You can do some many things with it and it's super cheap. Like a quarter {yes, .25 cents} cheap. Which I love even more. So I decided to make some finger puppets out of some felt I have here {can get at HobbyLobby or Wal-Mart} to help me tell Georgia the story of Noah's Ark. I had seen some of these at a store and all the animals were there along with Noah and his wife but I couldn't find God or the rainbow. So I decided to make them myself to emphasize the most beautiful part of the story - God's promise to Noah and the rainbow he sends as a reminder.

So here we go. Start with your sheets of felt and a Mark-B-Gone pen.

Place your finger on the felt you are going to use at the main body of the puppet. I chose to use tan and cream colored felt for mine. Anyway, when you have enough to slip your finger inside mark with the pen the width and length you need. Allow a little extra for the sewing room.

Cut the square out and then use that as a template for the other squares. Cut as many as you'll need to make the puppets.

Okay, when you have the pieces cut, then you just sew or glue them together leaving the bottom open for your finger. I sewed them to save time but you could glue them just as easily.

So here's the finished puppets ready to be turned inside out. I just trimmed the extra before I did it.And just stick your finger inside the open end and start working it's way up to the top. Be careful though not to bust the seams.

And here's your blank canvas. Ready to be adorned with whatever you decide you want your puppets to be. You could do animals, shapes, colors, or whatever. Just start cutting the felt and see what happens.So here's my finished product. We have Noah, The Ark, God & the Rainbow. I'm going to have to apologize to Noah when I see him in Glory one day. I'm sure he's much more attractive in person. And God. Don't you just love Him?!

So there you go. This project cost me less than 2.00 and less than 2 hours of time. Well worth don't you think???


Happy Monday to you all. Love from bham. And from God himself :)

And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth."
Genesis 9


2 comments:

Carey and Nathan said...

First of all, can I say that you might be the best mom I have ever seen... finger puppets... Bailey is lucky to get a measuring cup to play with. And secondly, I want you to know the absolute JOY I get from reading your blog. It is a true blessing to keep up with your family and all of Georgia's antics (I'm still laughing at the tampon episode). Thank you, Heather - you always make my day!Carey

Julee H. Nappier said...

How cute or YOU and those precious puppets!!!Love it!